How to properly Install Windows to get rid of viruses?
I am assuming that you already know how to boot the Windows Installer and how to partition and install the Windows.
This blog is a step by step overview on how you should approach installing the Windows on an affected Computer.
- Assuming your Windows has been installed in C drive, Copy all the files that you want to save on some other drive.
- Get a Windows DVD or a clean bootable USB of Windows
- Make sure that the USB was created from a clean system and after creation, it was not inserted into any system containing virus
- Make sure you have at-least WiFi or Ethernet driver downloaded in a safe place in another computer, which is virus free. You will need that to access internet.
- Shut Down your system
- Insert the flash drive (Make sure you didn’t insert it already when the windows was on)
- Delete the C drive, Re create the drive, format and install the Windows as usual
- Here is the trick part.
— Do not open another drive without installing the drivers and antivirus
- Copy the network drivers from the other machine and install it
- Connect to internet and download an antivirus of your choice. Avast, Avg are both good and have free versions.
- After installing the antivirus, run a scan of your system, and the other drives without opening those drives yet.
- After the scan, remove the viruses, and then you may open the other drives.
- If you found viruses, it is recommended that you delete all the programs or executables stored in those drives and download a fresh copy of the programs.
- In order to prevent your programs being affected from the virus in future, you can zip them into archives and rename the archive to remove the extension.
- Put back the extension, when you need to install them.
Help us spread the word